The new year is here, and many people have set resolutions to improve their health. Whether they hope to eat more nutritious food, exercise more, or pursue a new hobby, it’s exciting to see so many people making positive changes. But sometimes, staying on track and inspired can become difficult. Here are a few tips to support your resolutions for healthier living that we often share with patients at our Arizona cancer center. In fact, you can find more insight into these tips in our new e-book, available for free download on our website. It is has plenty of helpful tips and information about alternative treatments for cancer and chronic illness, as well as general ways to optimize your health, that you may find useful.
In the meantime, here are 8 tips to get you started.
1. Maintain a balanced diet. Consuming a nutrient-rich diet is one of the most important ways to live a healthy lifestyle and also to prevent cancer. Diet is one of the first methods of treatment we discuss with patients at our cancer center. Eating foods that are high in nutrients and reducing your intake of “empty” calories, or those without any nutrients, can help prevent or treat chronic illness.
2. Reduce your sugar intake. Today, many of the processed foods we eat contain a large amount of added sugars. Unfortunately, sugar plays a major role in the development of a lot of health problems, including cancer. In fact, cancerous cells thrive on the presence of sugar in the body, as it provides them with fuel for reproduction. As part of our holistic approach to cancer treatment, we often recommend patients reduce the amount of sugar they consume as much as possible so that treatments such as insulin potentiation therapy may be more successful.
3. Exercise. Exercise is critical, and it is important to find a type of exercise and routine that compliments your body and lifestyle. For example, jogging may be a great source of exercise for some, while others may get more satisfaction from yoga. Discuss types of exercise with your doctor that may be right for you, and find a routine you enjoy, from hiking with your dog to swimming to an aerobic dance class.
4. Don’t smoke or chew tobacco. Although this tip may seem like an obvious one, it’s important to remember that even having one cigarette can cause the body significant harm and encourage the development of chronic illness.
5. Spend time outdoors. Vitamin D, which your body processes with the presence of sunlight, is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Plus, the fresh air is good for your lungs, muscles, mind, and more — but don’t forget your sunscreen!
6. Relax. Yes, you can make a resolution to take time for yourself and relax! High levels of stress, whether mental, physical, or both, often contribute to chronic illnesses, so do what you need to decompress. At our Arizona cancer center, we provide patients with relaxation therapies in conjunction with their cancer treatment program. These include sound therapy and aromatherapy to help reduce stress and maintain balance.
7. See your doctor regularly. Sometimes even if you “feel fine,” there could be an underlying issue that only your doctor can detect. Plus, maintaining a consistent relationship with your health providers will assist them in determining the best solutions for all of your healthcare needs.
8. Take a holistic approach. One of the most important components of our cancer treatment program is the holistic approach we take to all treatments and therapies. We focus not just on healing the physical body, but also the mind and spirits of our patients. We work to help them maintain a strong immune system so that they can fight illness and prevent future issues though a number of complementary therapies. Taking a holistic approach to your daily activities can help you achieve a more balanced lifestyle and support preventive healthcare.
We hope you find these tips helpful as you work to achieve your new year’s resolutions, or improve your general health.
For more tips on improving your health and preventing chronic illness, visit the Health Optimization page of our blog here.